Monday, November 17, 2008

Hot and Cold....

Okay, so here is the first recipe...It started out as a bet many years ago, when a co-worker said "I bet you can't make ice cream with this." Well, I turned around to see what he held in his hand, low and behold, he revealed the "Mighty Habanero." I thought to myself, well, there are hints of citrus and apricot...why not? It turned out that my first attempt tasted fantastic! It certainly is not for everyone though, even though the cream tames the heat quite a bit....it is HOT!

Margarita Habanero Ice Cream

Zest and juice of 3 limes
1 oz tequilla
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
8 egg yolks
1 qt heavy cream
2 habaneros, minced

Place the lime zest, salt and habaneros in a sauce pan with the cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat to cool slightly. Meanwhile, whisk together the yolks and sugar until pale and thickened. Temper the yolk and sugar mixture with some of hot cream taking care not to curdle the yolks, then place the mixture into the rest of the cream and while stirring constantly, heat gently until the custard coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and tequilla. Cool completely and churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tracy DeLuca said...

The idea of the heat of a habanero pepper incorporated into the cold of ice cream is interesting. Not sure if I will like it. But, definitely interesting!

Glad to see you finally writing here!

Nana The Nana said...

OMG, I agree with Faerie mom, interesting for sure and I know it must be HOT. I will be looking forward to more fun stuff later. Also a little insite into you...